Welcome to Lecture 1! You’ll learn all about how young children develop number sense, how our base-ten number system makes life easier, and how to teach your children place-value.
- Related: Preschool Math at Home (my fun, playful book, filled with simple activities that will help give your preschooler a great foundation in math)
If you’re looking for information on a specific topic, I’ve listed the time stamps for each part of the lecture so you can go right to it.
Lecture 1: Foundations, Early Number Sense, and Place-Value
- What are the key principles of quality math teaching? [2:08]
- Early Number Sense
- How do young children develop early number concepts? [7:37]
- What is subitizing and why is it so important? [27:35]
- Why is the decimal number system so useful (and tricky)? [42:45]
- How do we break the concept of place-value into manageable chunks for kids? [59:20]
- What manipulatives are best for teaching place-value? [1:06:45]
- What common errors do children make with place-value? [1:28:44]