Welcome to Lecture 3! You’ll learn all about how to teach your kids to understand the concept of subtraction and master the subtraction facts. Plus, you’ll learn about the purpose (and common misconceptions) of mental math.
If you’re looking for information on a specific topic, I’ve listed the time stamps for each part of the lecture so you can go right to it.
Lecture 3: Subtraction, the Subtraction Facts, and Mental Math
- Concept of Subtraction
- What makes subtraction so hard? [0:56]
- How do children learn what subtraction means? [7:20]
- What are the properties of subtraction? [34:03]
- Subtraction Facts
- How do we teach children the subtraction facts? [36:49]
- Mental Math, Part 1
- What is the purpose of mental math? [55:33]
- What are the most useful mental math techniques for addition and subtraction? [1:00:24]