This video is part of my free video course for parents, Math That Makes Sense: Elementary Arithmetic. You can find the full list of videos (with outlines and links) here.
Welcome to Lecture 5! You’ll learn all about how to teach your kids to solve word problems and solve multiplication and division problems mentally.
- Related: How to Avoid These 3 Common Mental Math Myths
- Related: 5 Easy Ways to Avoid Word Problem Panic
If you’re looking for information on a specific topic, I’ve listed the time stamps for each part of the lecture so you can go right to it.
Lecture 5: Mental Math and Word Problems
- Mental Math, Part 2
- What are the most useful mental math techniques for multiplication and division? [0:55]
- Word Problems
- What are word problems’ role in a quality math program? [35:58]
- How do you teach children to solve word problems? [54:16]